11 April 2014

Review: Fifty Shades Series

I have read the Fifty Shades Series - Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker, and Fifty Shades Freed - by E L James a long time ago, way before the hype started. I heard about it from a book blogger and I got intrigued with all the gushing so I bought the first book at a local bookstore and, well, I fell in love with Christian Grey.


In a nutshell, the Fifty Shades Series revolves around the story of Christian Grey, filthy rich entrepreneur bachelor who has an eccentric taste in the bedroom, who fell in love with the lovely Literature student Anastasia Steele. Hooked on her, he asked her to become his girlfriend, making sure that she understands his terms when it comes to his erotic taste in sex. They overcame a lot of obstacles in their relationship, including Christian's inner demons, and ended up getting married. Compromise is a big word in how everything became fine in their world.

You know, I kept on reading and hearing about how bad the writing of this series by E L James. I know for a fact that this is fan fiction, a story created out of E L's love for Twilight. And even though this series is tagged as an erotic novel, it is tame and timid compared to other truly erotic and raunchy novels out there. I find this series to be 50-50 when it comes to eroticism. It is sensual, yes, and a bit of a shocker in some instances. Let me use as an example the shower scene wherein Christian took out Anastasia's tampon so they can have sex. That's the first time I read a scene like that! Ha-ha!

Corny in some instances. Trying hard to become a great novel, yes. But you know what? I enjoyed every bit of the three books! I had fun reading this series! It doesn't matter if most people who read it find it too shallow. What's important is that the overall story is one that captivated so many readers' attention. Yes, it is the typical rich sophisticated guy falling for the damsel in distress kind of girl plot. The guy is head over heels in love with the girl and he is one very possessive guy who will move heaven and earth just to make her happy. The girl is also head over heels in love with the guy who will do whatever he wants just to please him and make him happy. Typical love story with lots of not-too-explicit sex.

I love the first two books a lot! The last one is so-so because I find it was written haphazardly. But again, I love the series all in all!

***

Fifty Shades of Grey rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Fifty Shades Darker rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Fifty Shades Freed rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

0 comments: